Students are admitted to the program only during the fall quarter. As indicated above, applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, from an institution of recognized standing. The department also requires a statement of purpose, résumé, and letters of recommendation.
Write the statement of purpose carefully. The UCLA Department of Information Studies offers a very rich and distinctive environment in which to pursue your graduate education. In writing your statement, please consider the vision of the Department and indicate why you believe that this program and its areas of specialization are a good match for your particular background, experience, outlook professional interests, and personal passions and aspirations. Your statement should also include any additional information that may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation and your aptitude for graduate study in the Department.
In addition, the Department requires satisfaction of the following entrance requirement:
A college-level course in statistics (three semester units or four quarter units) taken within the last five years with a minimum grade of “C”. The course must have covered descriptive and inferential statistics.
This entrance requirement should be completed before beginning the MLIS program. It is highly recommended that applicants not wait for notification of admission before enrolling in a statistics course.
The requirement may be satisfied in the fall quarter of the student’s first year. Failure to complete the requirement by the end of the first quarter will result in a recommendation of termination of student status. Please note that fulfilling the requirement may require an overload in the first quarter of the first year or a longer time to degree.
MLIS Information Sessions
We have several information sessions for potential applicants over the year. Please see our list of dates here.
MLIS Application Submission Checklist
The UCLA Graduate Division accepts only online applications.
- All of the following items must be uploaded to the appropriate area of the online application:
- Statement of purpose
- Résumé or CV
- Three letters of recommendation. You must enter the names and other information about your recommenders in the online application.
- Fellowship application. Review the criteria for each fellowship, and if you are qualified, complete the appropriate section(s).
- One copy of official transcript from all academic institutions from which you received a degree.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. You are responsible for arranging to take this examination and having official scores sent to the Department. Scores from tests taken more than five years ago are not acceptable [University code: 4837, Department code: 4701].
- In addition, International applicants must submit the following:
- Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores. These tests are required of all applicants whose native language is not English. You are responsible for arranging to take these examinations and having official scores sent to the Department.
- Evidence of completion of Departmental entrance requirement (when complete). It is your responsibility to make sure the entrance requirement is met.
Application Procedures and Deadlines
Note: Applicants not meeting the required grade point average of 3.0 (“B”) may be recommended for provisional admission to the Graduate Division in exceptional cases if GRE scores, letters of recommendation, work experience, or other factors indicate unusual promise.
The Graduate Division honors the IS deadlines indicated below. Only admitted applicants are considered for University fellowships.
Graduate Admissions, 1255 Murphy Hall, Box 951428, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1428, only accepts electronic applications. Applicants can apply electronically by accessing the UCLA Graduate Division website. Supplementary forms are available at that same site for the statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and ordering official transcripts.
Special Instructions for Applicants to Cooperative Degree Programs
- MLIS./M.A.- Latin American Studies – File one UCLA application (part A), indicating the appropriate program code: M.A. -Latin American Studies/MLIS (CAA). All supporting materials (transcripts, test scores, statement of purpose, etc.) should be sent to both IS and the other department. Adhere to Latin American Studies (November 30) application deadline.
- MLIS/M.B.A. – File the John E. Anderson Graduate School of Management (AGSM) application for admission indicating the program codes (ABA). Submit a copy of the application to IS. All supporting materials (transcripts, test scores, statement of purpose, etc.) should be sent to both IS and AGSM. The GRE is not required for this program; the results of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) are used in making admissions decisions.
Contact the GSE&IS Office of Student Services at (310) 825-5269 if you have questions about application procedures. Check the status of your application at the Graduate Admissions website. All documents received by the department will be entered at that site as soon as possible. Decisions will also be posted at the Graduate Division site.