Library and Information Studies
If you are a graduate of the UCLA Department of Information Studies, then you are a member of the Library & Information Studies Alumni Association or LISAA. We provide alumni with opportunities for networking, lifelong learning, and engagement throughout the year. We sponsor colloquia, mixer, and other events including the Annual Spring Awards Dinner. This year we’ll also be involved in celebrating the program’s 60th anniversary. We invite you to stay connected and involved!
As a graduate of the program (MLS, PhD, Certificate) you’re already part of a special group of UCLA graduates who continue to make their contribution to library and information services across the state, country, and world.
Stay in Touch!
Stay in touch with the Department and your fellow alums in one of 3 ways:
- Join our group on LinkedIn. Connect with other alumni and receive group updates.
- Update your information with us and we’ll keep you updated on special events, departmental news, opportunities for involvement, and other alumni information.
- Sign-up for our LIS-AA email list
a) You will receive a message asking you to confirm the subscription with a link. Follow the link in the message otherwise your subscription will not take effect.
b) To unsubscribe go to https://lists.gseis.ucla.edu/sympa/signoff/lis-aa”
Upcoming Events for Alumni
- Saturday, December 1, 2018 – Information Studies 60th Anniversary – Reunion & Day-long Symposium. Event Information
- December 6, 2018 – Dean’s Scholars Dinner – Time: 5:30pm reception and 6:30pm dinner. Location Covel Commons, Grand Horizon Ballroom.
- January 2019 (TBD) – The Kenneth Karmiole Symposium in Archival Studies. Event Information.
- February 8, 2019 – California Rare Book School Reception – California Antiquarian Book Fair, San Francisco. Event Information.
- February 21, 2019 – Dr. Carla Hayden, Librarian of Congress. Event Information.
- Sunday, May 19, 2019 – Frances Clarke Sayers Lecture, Grace Lin (author). Event Information.
- Thursday, May 30, 2019 – Library Information Studies Alumni Association (LISSA) Spring Awards Dinner – 5:30 pm Reception | 6:00 pm Dinner. Location: TBD. Event Information. See also list of past Spring Dinner awardees.
For more information on upcoming Information Studies events, please contact the Office of External Relations (310) 206-0375 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent Alumni Events
- October 11, 2018 – Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series – Alberto Manguel, Former Director, National Library of Argentina – Event information and RSVP
- October 21, 2018 (Sunday), 4-6pm. American Library Association, External Review Panel Reception for Alumni and Employers. Location: GSEIS Building, Room 111
For a list of past LISAA Events, please click here.
The LISAA Bylaws state that —
- The purpose of the Library and Information Studies Alumni Association (hereafter refered to as LISAA) are:
a) To maintain among the alumni of the UCLA Department of Information Studies (hereafter referred to as the Department) a spirit of fellowship and service to librarianship and an ongoing connection with the Department and the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.
b) To Facilitate communication between the Department and the alumni.
c) To help support the students of the Department by guidance, gifts and scholarships.
d) To promote the continuing professional education of the alumni.
LISAA Bylaws – Adopted May 31st, 1979; Last Amended December 20, 2006.
LISAA fulfills its purpose through the sponsoring of its own events (see below), participating in and supporting events of the Department, and facilitating the networking of alumni and students.
Since LISAA membership does not include annual dues, the LISAA Board encourages alumni to make an annual gift towards the department and/or scholarships.
Opportunities for giving can be found at: